Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2006 23:41:37 +0200
From:      Fluffles <etc@fluffles.net>
To:        Anton <freebsd@narr.spb.ru>,  freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SATA-hdd or SATA-controller trouble.

Anton wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've some trouble and cannt identify matter. May be someone knows ?
> First time it looks like this:
>
> Aug 21 18:46:27 nrr kernel: ad4: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=344654303
> Aug 21 18:46:32 nrr kernel: ad4: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
> Aug 21 18:46:37 nrr kernel: ad4: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
> Aug 21 18:46:37 nrr kernel: ad4: WARNING - removed from configuration
> Aug 21 18:46:37 nrr kernel: ata2-master: FAILURE - READ_DMA timed out

Hi Anton,

I have had similar messages when my ATA cable was damaged. So i suggest
replacing your cable. Also you might want to check the temperature of
the disk using the "smartmontools" utility from freebsd-ports.
Harddrives should always be kept very cool < 40 degrees if possible. A
higher risk of dataloss and/or lower lifespan could be the result of a
higher temperature. Smartmontools can also run self-tests (short or long
ones) to check for problems with your drive.

Good luck!

- Veronica