Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:28:06 +0000
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE client+pf+nat

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 06:51:26 -0700 (PDT)
D=E1nielisz L=E1szl=F3 <laszlo_danielisz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>=20
> I am looking to configure my FreeBSD 8.0 machine for the purpose
> specified in the subject. Let's say I have two NICs in my PC: ext_if
> (for wan/pppoe connection) and int_if for my LAN. How would you
> manage to get work NAT with pf using PPPoE from my ISP; I'd like to
> use DHCP on my LAN.

PPPoE is documented in the handbook, I'd suggest you set that up first
together with a simple pf firewall to secure the system. There are
plenty of howtos for PF+NAT+DHCP.=20

I would suggest you also run a DNS cache so dhcp clients can be given a
fixed private IP address instead of the ISP servers.=20

FWIW you may not actually need two NICs, if you have a modem/router
with multiple ports you may be able to get away with PPPoE and your lan
sharing the same NIC (your wan interface being tun0).