Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:05:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Heiko Schaefer <hschaefer@fto.de>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gbde data corruption?

Hi Terry,

> > apparently updating g_bde_crypt.c from rev 1.12 to 1.13 has effects on the
> > format of data or the layout of the encrypted filesystem. the stuff that
> > was on that mount with the old kernel is gone now.
> >
> > i'll refill the volume and report any issues that still remain.
>
> While you are at it, consider "man tunefs", and read about the
> "-m" option to see why "-m 0" is a terrible thing to do; in
> particular, read the first and last paragraphs.

i believe i'm aware of the issues with "tunefs -m 0". i only use it as a
temporary means of cramming data onto disks. with 60GB drives it sometimes
comes in handy to temporarily use those 8% (4.6GB in that case).
of course i leave minfree at 8% on filesystems to which i write regularly.

my comments on speed were unrelated to tunefs-related slowness, but i
suppose it is reasonable to expect a "tunefs -m 0"'d filesystem to be
reliable, albeit slow. that was what concerned me. but as it turned out, i
just used a broken version of the gbde code.

initial fiddling points that poul's hint of using "-i" when gdbe initing
and setting the sector_size improves speed greatly for me.

anyway, thanks for pointing it out - there are certainly enough other
obvious things that i'm not aware of :)

cheers,

Heiko