Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 2003 13:39:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   RE: DISCUSSION: /dev/fd%d.%d and /dev/{a}cd%d[ac] to be discontinued ?

I certainly agree about the 'a' and 'c' devices.

I'm not so sure that the density devices should go.
They don't fit very well into the 'geom' world however so I can see
that it may be better to provide a better way of selecting densities..
(of course I doubt there will be any more NEW 'floppy' densities as the
time of the floppy disk is past, but it may still be worth while being
able to write 720K floppies for some people..
I know of one industrial NC-lathe that takes its patters in on a 720K
floppy (though I don't have to deal with it). It would probably be
enough to be able to read and rewrite such a floppy and not neccesarily
to create a new one from scratch.. (i.e. auto-select
from existing media may be enough). maybe with an ioclt to select the
default.

The 'density' devices are defintly expendable if there are other ways to
do that and if we can convince ourselves that no-one uses other
densities then I have no quibbles.. Do we want to support other
densities?

An ioctl to select the right member of fd_types[]
should not be difficult fopr setting a default value..