Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 20:59:40 -0700
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Igor Podlesny <poige@morning.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: auto relaying for subdomains -- why?

poige> Yes,          I          saw          this          info         here:
poige> http://www.sendmail.org/m4/features.html#relay_mail_from    but   most
poige> valuable  part of my question was about the purpose or the idea behind
poige> this,  cause it's not too clear to me why allowing relaying for domain
poige> FOO.BAR  should  allow  relaying  for  SUB.FOO.BAR?

Because some places have only one machine (firewall) that accepts mail from
the outside world for all of the hosts inside the network.  For example, in
my previous life as a sysadmin at WPI, only smtp.wpi.edu would accept
incoming mail for all of the machines (> 3000) on campus.  I'd much rather
say "wpi.edu" in one place instead of listing loads of subdomains
(ee.wpi.edu, me.wpi.edu, res.wpi.edu, ...).

poige> I mentioned RFCs because I had a hope to find out the answer from it
poige> but still haven't yet...

RFC's cover protocols over the Internet, not local configuration or policy.