Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 1997 22:11:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Levenberg <richardl@ufp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install via Passive FTP with proxy

I am having trouble with a proxy server at my office where I am trying
to install FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE via ethernet through a proxy server.

For discussions sake lets call the proxy server proxy-server.

In Netscape for Windows 95 I manually edit the proxys and add
proxy-server as the server for FTP and the port is 8080.  From a unix
box I can run:

ftp proxy-server 1555

which then asks for my username and I put in

anonymous@ftp.freebsd.org and it puts me through.

I have tried everything I can think of to get the files via passive FTP but
I am having no luck.  When I look at VT2 for debugging it tells me 'FTP
session closed OpenConn : 215444' or something like that and brings me back
out.

I have read the handbook and looked through the mailing list but the info
is sparse.  I did exactly what the handbook said to do.  I changed the
ftp username to ftp@ftp.freebsd.org and the password to richardl@work.com.

For passive FTP I input the URL ftp://proxy-server:1555/pub/FreeBSD and
I get the error above.  Can someone please help?  I would prefer private
email as I had to unsubscribe from the mailing list due to the volume of
email.  TIA

richardl