Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 12:45:06 +0800 (WST)
From:      Terry Dwyer <tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-questions@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Embedded SCSI controller on HP netserver LC

Justin, thanks for the quick answer.

In terms of performance, do you have any idea how the aic7770 compares to
the aic7870.  This box will probably run a (relatively) small newsfeed,
lightly used web & ftp server, X, (it's my workstation), and provide a real
ftp client for the DOS users whose ws-ftp and netscape ftp sessions fall
over under windoze all the time.  8-)

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> >I have some reservations about this machine, the main one being to do with
> >the embedded SCSI controller, (an aic7770 I've been told), on the EISA
> >bus, this is even though the machine has a PCI bus.
>
> FreeBSD supports the aic7770, aic7870, and aic7880 chips.  FreeBSD is known
> to work with other HP machines with these embeded controllers (aic7770s
> that is), but I don't know which server model it was.

   _-_|\    Terry Dwyer 	  E-Mail: tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au
  /     \   System Administrator  Phone: +61 9 491 5161     Fax: +61 9 221 2631
  *_.^\_/   Telecom Australia     Telstra Corporation       MIME capable mailer
       v    Perth  WA                 ( I do not speak for Telstra or Telecom )