Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 23:43:16 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
Subject:   Re: max memory on Alpha?

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> What is the currently max supported memory size on Alpha? 2Gb maybe?
> Or will 4Gb also be OK?
>
> Reason for asking is that I want to try a AS8400 who is equipped
> with 3x 4Gb memory module.

Currently we are limited to 1Gb or 2Gb, depending on the platform. The
tsunami driver uses a 2Gb window for dma and I think AS4x00 and AS8x00
also support 2Gb.

Supporting more memory requires that all dma capable hardware is the
busdma interface in its drivers. Given that, someone needs to write a
small amount of code in busdma_machdep.c to either bounce transfers down
to the 2Gb range or to use the sgmap to map the transfers into a reachable
place.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160