Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 14:45:36 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: can't use internet after recompiling kernel

Jeremy Fincher wrote:

> Now, I do have a few questions: First of all, why is something with
> "security and privacy implications" required for something as simple as
> dhcp?

My understanding is that the problem is related to DHCP sending data
while the interface still doesn't have an IP address. Whether this is
allowed and what the exact consequences are varies between
implementations. I don't know the details.

> And also, this is just for my information: I ran NT with my cable modem
> for about 3 weeks.  During that time I rebooted many times and never
> changed IP addresses.  It was definitely nice.

That's probably because the downtime is shorter than the refresh rate.

> Then I ran Linux for at least a month.  Every single time I rebooted, I
> would end up with a new IP address.  Everytime.  It was not nice; I
> constantly had to tell my friends my new IP address when they wanted any
> files from me, or wanted to play quake3 on my server.

Can't tell you why this happens. You'd better ask on some Linux
mailinglists about this.

> My first question about this is why are these operating systems
> different?

Because people are different. With some fuzzy logic you may conclude
that OS's are equal to people :-)

> My second, is can I look forward to those weeks (or more) of IP address
> stability that I got in NT, even rebooting at least once a day or so?

Yes, but remember: no guarantees! I know of a FreeBSD machine that has
its IP address for almost a year that way, but your mileage may vary as
they say...

> Ok, and also, the linux netscape seemed much more stable in linux than
> the freebsd netscape seems in freebsd.  Should I try the linux netscape
> in emulation mode?

Yes. You'll find it less buggy, with the added advantage of having some
plugins...

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/