Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:07:16 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can not change NIS password

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 01:31:47PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Apr 16), Glenn Johnson said:
>
> > User passwords can not be changed if they are served by NIS with
> > -current:
> >
> > FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #3: Tue Apr 15 11:30:59 CDT 2003     root@node1.cluster.srrc.usda.gov:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLUSTER-FW
> >
> > When trying to change a password I get the following:
> >
> > Apr 16 12:16:38 node1 passwd: in pam_sm_chauthtok(): yppasswd_remote(): NIS password update failed
> >
> > If I place account information into /etc/master.passwd instead of
> > the NIS master.passwd, then I can successfully change the password.
>
> Try the attached patch; I really need to send-pr this :) The current
> code assumes you always export /etc/master.passwd.

Your patch fixes the problem.  Thanks.

> There is still a bug in there somewhere that prevents you from
> changing an NIS password when logged into the NIS master itself, but
> at least there's a workaround for that (log into a client to change
> the password).

I presume you mean when the NIS master is not also a client.  In my
case, the machine that is the NIS master is also an NIS client. I was
able to change the password on that machine after applying your patch.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252