Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 1998 13:48:31 +0800
From:      "Stephen Cooper" <stephenc@ios.alphawest.com.au>
To:        "Jeorge Hasselbrink" <jeorgeh@bewellnet.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: H e l l l l l l l l p p p p p

This is a common problem.

I will paste a reply that I keep stored on my hard disk:

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Christoph Sold wrote:

> >> FreeBSD BOOT @ 0x10000: 640/31744 k of memory, internal console
> Boot default: 1:wd(1,a)kernel
>               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ THIS IS WRONG!
> There is no primary slave IDE disk installed. The kernel resides on
> "1:wd(2,a)/kernel", the secondary master.

Modify /boot.config on that disk to have `1:wd(2,a)/kernel' in it.  You
have your disks split across the controllers and this confuses the heck
out of the boot blocks.

Move the disk to the primary controller.  If you don't want to do that,
you're going to get the obligatory ``can't mount root''.

If you really really want to have the disks split, then follow these
instructions:

1. Have the line:
config kernel root on wd2

in your kernel config,
OR:

2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
parameters unchanged).