Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:31:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Eldredge <nge@cs.hmc.edu>
To:        Andrew Thompson <thompsa@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation for wireless network card (PCI/USB)

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Andrew Thompson wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:30:35AM -0800, Nate Eldredge wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I am looking to get a wireless Ethernet card (802.11g) for my desktop
>> FreeBSD box.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has found a card
>> that works well.  It should be PCI or USB.  Ideally, I'd prefer one with a
>> fully open-source driver if possible.
>>
>> The machine in question is running 6.2/amd64, if it makes a difference.
>>
>> I did some searching, but all the results I found were several years old
>> and refer to cards that are not on the market anymore.
>
> Atheros cards are by far the best supported, see
> http://customerproducts.atheros.com/customerproducts/default.asp

Ok.  I see that the Atheros drivers have a binary-only part, as described
by ath_hal(4).  Can you confirm that this works on amd64?  Often vendors
are lazy about writing drivers for anything but i386.  :(

Btw, the Atheros site you link to doesn't seem to work.  All my searches
yield a server error page.  Very confidence-inspiring...

Thanks!

--
Nate Eldredge
nge@cs.hmc.edu