Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:46:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   altq question.

I was wondering if anyone had ever used altq to throttle people on an adsl
connection. Basically what I want to do make each user share bandwidth
evenly, but in such a way that they can use all the available bandwidth
individually if nobody else is using it. However, I also want to be able
to set aside some of that bandwidth for ssh. The problem is on my machine,
with dummynet, I can do all this, but when I set it up to limit both
incoming (608Kbit/s) and outgoing (128Kbit/sec) connections, the ping time
through the machine goes up by 5 seconds, if I turn off the queuing
options on the outgoing connections/packets, the ping returns to
normal. Also, I can't figure out with altq how to set up different
incoming and outgoing bandwidths. Does anyone have any experience doing
anything like this with altq? if not, can someone tell me how to fix my
ping problem with dummynet? Thanks.

Ken