Date:      Thu, 27 May 2010 10:47:39 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
Cc:        Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Roger Vetterberg <roger@vetterberg.com>
Subject:   Re: How long do you go without upgrading FreeBSD to a newer release?

On Thu, 20 May 2010, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:

> (i) install onto a new computer , test it , and if it is working very well
> transfer data onto
>     new system , and keep old system for a new release/update cycle .
>     This step is most suitable for production systems exposed to outer
> world .
> (ii) attach a new hard disk to the computer , copy all of the present files
> to the new
> system ,
>    update it , test it , if it is successful , use previous hard disk for a
> new release/update
>    cycle ,
> (iii) back-up all of the data , and try update . Testing suitability may
> take a long time .
>
> In steps (ii) and (iii) , do not load new data during tests , because at the
> end , all of them may be destroyed .
> ( No one of the above steps are suitable for a proprietary , activation
> based operating system because they are not allowing so many computer and/or
> hard disk changes . )
>
> Therefore , the problem is a "system analysis and design" process .

In my case, I have nagios setup to advise me when its been 60 days since
last upgrade and perform an upgrade religiously when the alarm is sounded
... have had this policy for *years* now without regret ...

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org