Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:21:00 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, Ken Keeler <kkeysler@nwlink.com>
Subject:   Re: Smaller, Dedicated tools and Greg's Daemon News Article

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sunday, 13 December 1998 at 23:29:40 -0800, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> > I spent the entire weekend doing battle with Microsoft products. We
> > produced a 400 page report using the bastard Word 97. Easily 20 full man
> > hours were spent trying to figure why there were big red X's where
> > pictures used to be and recovering files that were corrupted during
> > crashes. We could not put together more than 20MB/200 pages of text before
> > complete instability occured.
> >
> > What a horrible waste of time.
> >
> >Oh yeah, don't forget that little paper clip sucker in the right corner.
> > Good thing I didn't have my gun. I'da shot the futhermocker right in his
> > litte winky eye.
> >
> > Imagine trying to put together "The Complete FreeBSD" in this environment.
> >
> > The point is, I know how well small dedicated tools work. I haven't
> > learned the text editing tools because I was never motivated to do so.
> >
> > A recent email chat combined with Greg's article have completely convinced
> > me that I should learn a little bit more programming in order to make my
> > life easier.
> >
> > Emacs, Tex,
>
> Don't go overboard.  Emacs, OK, but TeX might help you find positive
> things about Microsoft Wart.
>
> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

I'd say you weren't too far: I use Xemacs + LaTeX for practicaly all of my
writing (except for Hebrew, but luckily for you, that's probably not a
problem for you :-) ). Especially if you write scientific stuff (which, by
your .sig, I'd suspect you are) there's nothing that beats LaTeX. At least
in our discipline (Computer Science), LaTeX is the Lingua Franca for all
scientific work. I'd say reading/writing LaTeX source code is practicaly a
requirement for being a researcher in theoretical CS. The standard
reference on it (Leslie Lamport's book) is, well, not easy to read, but
it's still worth the effort (and I heard there are other good books for
it).

Nadav