Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 10:50:01 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        "PathFinder Software" <normand@pathfindersoftware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Graphical Interface for FreeBSD

On 5/20/00, 4:27:07 PM, "PathFinder Software"=20
<normand@pathfindersoftware.com> wrote regarding Graphical Interface for=
=20
FreeBSD:

> Does anyone knows of any good GUI (graphical interface) similar
> to NetMAX that would work with FreeBSD 4.0?

> NetMAX seems to be a good product but at this time will only work
> with FreeBSD 3.3 and Linux 5.4.

> FreeBSD 3.3 will not work with my SCSI card while FreeBSD 4.0
> will...what a dilemma!

> I am in the need to get my system up and running in a short time
> to test a development project and I need to shorten the learning
> curve at this time. I can always memorize the mountains of
> commands later when I have more time available.

> Normand J. Charette

Dear Normand J. Charette,

You can install such a fancy-awesome-super-mega-bloated metaport as=20
Gnome or KDE. There's KDE-2 (Beta version) available, too; actually, I=20
haven't tried it on 3-STABLE yet.  =20

Also, you might want to have a look at the webmin port (GUI for System=20
Administration), found in /usr/ports/sysutils/webmin. IMO, you should=20
first read a little material from the docs (e.g. handbook) before=20
using the program. You are NOT supposed to walk blindfold in a Unix=20
system :-)

In order to avoid any problems with ports under 3.3, you should=20
install the "upgrade kit" for ports (found in=20
/usr/ports/misc/34upgrade), which works for 3.3. and 3.4 systems.

As an aside, I would suggest upgrading to 3-STABLE as soon as you can;=20
better yet, I would suggest using the relatively recent 4-STABLE. It=20
is reported to behave quite well -- N.B. **exceptionally** well for a=20
4.0 line (!)=20

Good luck,
Salvo