Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 18:40:31 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Spidey <beaupran@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Examining FBSD set[ug]ids and their use

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 11:56:03AM -0500, Spidey wrote:
> --- Big Brother told Eivind Eklund to write, at 17:39 of November 1:
> > On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 09:27:56PM -0500, Spidey wrote:
> > > # The suid bit is NOT necessary for any usage I could find...
> > > 	df gname=operator mode=2555
> >
> > The suid bit is necessary for users to be able to inspect the amount
> > of disk space free on unmounted disks.
>
> I must be missing something here. When a disk is unmounted, it does
> not appear in the df output, no?

No, but a user can explictly run df against an unmounted file system.
(Not after I get my dirty fingers out of -current, though).

> > > # High scores management
> > > 			sol uname=games gname=games mode=6755
> >
> > This looks like a bug in some port, actually.  We shouldn't normally
> > have anything that is setuid games, only setgid.
>
> Oh. And why?

Because somebody getting an extra group makes less harm than them
getting an extra UID - an extra GID lets them get extra access, while
an alternative UID give them extra access *and* lets them hide who
they are.

Eivind.