Date:      Sun, 01 May 2011 12:10:06 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        mato <gamato@users.sf.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: saving a few ports from death

On 05/01/2011 00:12, mato wrote:

> Regarding hosting the files -- one of the goals of the foundation is to
> provide infrastructure for the project. And this seems like one of the
> opportunities to do so. Besides, all of the ports mentioned have their
> distfiles already mirrored on FreeBSD's FTP.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of mirroring the distfiles. It's
done as a service to FreeBSD users to deal with temporary upstream
problems, not as a primary source. Bandwidth costs money, and we don't
want to abuse the generosity of those who contribute their systems to
FreeBSD.

The fact remains that if people want these ports saved then the
appropriate resources have to be forthcoming. That includes person-hours
to maintain the ports, as well as hosting for the distfiles.

Doug

			-- OK Go