Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 10:31:41 -0400
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        Chris Pauly <l@binkyware.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall solutions?

>I've been trying to get a decent firewall running here but i there always
>seems to be something in the way, and i could do with some advice.
>
>I've got 2 computers (Windows and FreeBSD - each with their own real ip)
>and a 3rd computer with no real ip (it's using 192.168.1.2 at the moment),
>all needing to go through a cable modem, but still be firewalled and
>networked (microsoft network - ie: shared drives/printers), and the
>192.168.1.2 machine to be masqueraded. At first i played around with
>subnets and managed to have all 3 computers on my switch, with the cable
>modem coming off a second NIC in FreeBSD, but it was rather messy and
>ruined the routing for the subnet that i was faking.

<snip>

This solution seems like it should work, but you don't really provide any
details on your configuration and how it was 'messy' or how it ruined the
routing...  You might want to check out www.mostgraveconcern.com and check
out the article on setting up a Dual-Homed machine (it's under the
'Advanced Topics' listing on the left frame). Without setting up your FBSD
to handle NAT (for your 192. box), and a firewall, AND to act as a gateway,
it would seem that nothing would work right =)

Hope that helps,
John