Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:31:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Highly loaded machine getting slower and slower

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <20030728151919.S334@pcle2.cc.univie.ac.at>, Lukas Ertl writes:
> >Hi there,
> >
> >I'm having again problems with a highly loaded 5.1-current machine.  The
> >box is a 2.4GHz Dual Xeon (HTT enabled) with 1GB RAM and acts as a news
> >server/feeder running diablo.  It's pumping out 120+Mbit/sec over Gigabit
> >without a glitch, but after some time, it's getting slower and slower,
> >until it seems to completely freeze, but it's still alive, just _very_
> >unresponsive and in fact has to be rebooted.
>
> Run a shell script in cron every 5 minutes where you record
> 	date
> 	sysctl kern.malloc
> 	sysctl vm.zone
> 	swapinfo
> 	ps -axlw
>
> and look out for anything which just gobbles up more and more
> memory.

Unfortunately, this didn't show anything significant.  But I've played
around a little and built a kernel without WITNESS and friends, but with
"options ADAPTIVE_MUTEXES".  Now the box is up for almost five hours and
is still running, which really surprised us. :-)  Throughput is ok, but
the limiting factor currently seems to be disk I/O.  It's a pity that
ciss(4) isn't more performant right now.  Anyway, we hope the box stays up
and we'll keep monitoring that.

regards,
le

--
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073