Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 18:05:38 -0500
From:      Scott Whittle <scott@patton.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Single 2.1 box for multiple tasks

'Lo all-

Question:  I have been roped (semi-willing) into setting up a mail host for
a financial institution who are trying to get into the i-net thing.  Is it
possible
to use a single 2.1-Stable machine for a router/gateway/nameserver/pop3 ?

Off the top of my head I'm thing something like this with a PPP link?

====56K DDS line from ISP====[DSU/CSU]---Async 57.6 out using PPP---[FREEBSD
Box]

Depending on $$$ and such things as Frame Relay may be employed.  The
DSU/CSU will
do Async RS232 out of the CSU (Patton Model 2500.)  The idea is to get a
direct and full time link to the out side world.

Out of the FREEBSD Box using Ethernet to PC's on everyone's desks.  The main
idea
is to get the server on site so email will flow within the org as well as
outside
of the org.  They already have their domain name with InterNic.  Any
suggestions?

Scott Whittle			email: scott@patton.com
Patton Electronics Co.                           	WWW: http://www.patton.com
7622 Rickenbacker Dr.                            	TEL: 301.975.1000
Gaithersburg MD 20882                            	FAX: 301.869.9293

	"Any enterprise is built by wise planning, becomes strong
	 through common sense, and profits wonderfully by keeping
	 abreast of the facts"
			-- King Solomon, LB