Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 13:50:14 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        neil@corpex.com (Neil)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'b' Files

Neil Fowler Wright asked:
> 	We recently had a disk crash, and certasin 'b' and 'c' type nonesense
> files have been created.
> 	How can we delete them?
>
> eg.
>
> b--sr-srwt  1 10  wheel   32, 538968096 May  5 16:53 1929

This is a block-special device, like a disk drive.  Just rm -f 1929
in that directory.  You may want to check /dev and make sure the crash
didn't ruin things there as well.  Also, if this appeared in a directory
that is writable by users on your system, you may have uncovered a
hacking attempt.

For instance, if you find an entry in a users directory that looks
like:

crw-r----- 1 user  group    2,    1  Jun 13 22:17 foo

this 'user' now has the ability to snoop at kernel memory at will,
and can crash the system at will (device 2,1 is the kernel memory
pseudo-device).