Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:28:23 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, marcel@cup.hp.com, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF, OS and ABI [was: Re: sysctl kern.fallback_elf_brand]

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 12:50:44PM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> > Darwin uses this or similar support.  The people from Apple has stated
> > that they want fat binary support in openpackages.  It's also been
>=20
> I might also note that you don't need to play ELF games to get "fat
> binary support" in a package system, the idea of a permuted name space
> inside a package being something I've suggested several times in our
> PackageToolsNG discussions.

True, but you don't get to take advantage of the space savings this way
and you can't have a unified tree without resorting to symlink,
filesystem, or auto mounter hacks.  With real fat binaries you only have
to keep one copy of certain segments or perhaps one copy per
endianness, but certaintly less copies then the total number of
architectures.  If you wanted to just implement fat packages you might
actually want to *not* use a ransom access archive format so you could
at least get better compression of the repeted segments of the
binaries.  An intresting tradeoff question.

-- Brooks

--=20

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb--