Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2019 22:46:31 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to update ports for portmaster?

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 20:34:20 +0000 (UTC)
Ben Brink via freebsd-questions wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While trying to install git with:
>
> portmaster -a
> portmaster -D --no-confirm devel/git
>
> This error occurs:

I don't know anything about this particular problem, and I've not used
postmaster much, but from when I used portupgrade I found that most
build problems that aren't flagged in UPDATING are fixed in a day or
so, so the first thing to do is make sure your ports tree is updated.

> I've also tried:
> portsnap update
> # but it complains that I need to portsnap extract also.. And yet, I
> don't want to create voluminous storage.. and have two ports
> management systems in use.

You can't use ports without a ports tree. portmaster uses the tree,
portsnap is one way to update the tree, they do different things. And
you can't use portsnap without doing an initial extract.