Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 23:54:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Denis DeLaRoca <denis@acacia.cts.ucla.edu>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        java-port@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Visual Bug: (blue) window without data!

I have a java app run under FreeBSD that when displayed on a remote
X-server on a Macintosh (either Exodus v7 or MacX 2.0) ends up displaying
a (blue) window without data... the problem occurs only with this
combination of remote X-server and the ported FreeBSD 1.1.x. Running the
same app from a Solaris Sparc 2.6 system with java 1.1.6 works fine.

The problem comes down apparently to wether I am running rooted or
rootless windows on my MAC X-server. And the problem only shows in this
situation, displaying to a remote X-server on another FreeBSD box or even
a Solaris box works fine because those servers are running a rooted window
manager.

Is this a known bug of the FreeBSD port of the JDK? Is there any
workaround that can be implemented on the app side?

-- Denis