Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 17:13:02 +0930 (CST)
From:      grog@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        shegonee@ix.netcom.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gud-mode: gdb inside emacs

shegonee@ix.netcom.com writes:
> Hi,
> I have a program compiled with the -g option. When I run gdb inside of emacs
> it starts gdb fine but doesn't open a second window with the source code
> in it. Is there anything else I need to do to get gdb inside emacs
> to run and open a second window with the source code file in it?

I suppose that this depends on how you started it.  If you do M-x gdb,
it should prompt you for the name of a program to run.  You enter the
name of the program, and it opens a new buffer the same window.  When
you start running the program, it opens a new window in the same frame
with the source code.  You should then be able to enter gdb commands
in the gdb window (which will be called *gdb-<program name>*) and look
at the source in the other window.

Although I'm a great user of both Emacs and gdb, I find that the
combination doesn't work very well.  I prefer to run gdb from an
xterm.

Greg