Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 14:26:02 -0300 (EST)
From:      Felipe Paulo Guazzi Bergo <guazzibe@dcc.unicamp.br>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting CPU usage in FreeBSD

Hi,

I am the author of gPS (http://gps.seul.org) and I'm trying to finish the
FreeBSD native poller. All I need now is a routine to get the CPU usage.
My program needs it every quarter of second, so the loadavg value is not
enough accurate for me. (the objective is the CPU/memory history window
shown in the third screenshot at the website)

I've already looked at the source of top but couldn't get much from there.

On Linux this is what I do to get this value:  Measure the number of
scheduled jiffies (hundreths of second), measure elapsed time since last
measurement, divide. What I need is a scheduler-oriented cpu usage poller.
I have already found some symbols in the kernel that may provide this
value, but I couldn't get them to scale in a closed range (when I though I
got the correct factor, I got CPU usages of 1280 % and the like).

I am using FreeBSD-3.4-RELEASE/i386 for development, and would like to
code to be portable for the widest range of FreeBSD versions possible.

Can someone help me with code or good reference ?

Thanks,

          Felipe Paulo Guazzi Bergo, undergradute in Computer Engineering
        guazzibe@dcc.unicamp.br || bergo@seul.org || bergo@linuxstart.com
                                 Unicamp - Campinas - SP - Brazil - Earth