Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:18:32 -0500
From:      linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
To:        Jo Rhett <jrhett@netconsonance.com>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: challenge: end of life for 6.2 is premature with buggy 6.3

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 05:39:36PM +0200, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> You seem awful hostile - do you really think that's the best way to
> represent the project you're involved with?

When confronted with "what you are doing is wrong, but I am not going
to tell you what it is because if you cared you'd already know" (my
summary of your past postings in this thread)?  Possibly not 'best' but
'understandable'.

> The option provided seems like a fairly good compromise to both
> interests. Pick 6.3 (or anything the release team wishes) to support
> for a longer period of time.

If you want FreeBSD to be supported the same as a commercial product,
and you be able to dictate the terms, then it's not going to happen
completely via volunteer effort.  At some point some money is going to
have to change hands.  Either you pay someone at your company to do
support, or you hire someone external.

Then you get to dictate what is supported and for how long.  Otherwise,
all you can do is to suggest.  A "consensus statement" signed off on
by one person is the former -- not the latter.

Now to add my own frustration to the list ...

I next note that _after_ you said you had no more time to continue
with this thread for now (and thus could not yet give us pointers to
specific failures and any corresponding PR numbers), you are still
replying to email.  Since you still seem to have some time, let me
help you do a little research here.

Checking the PRs that you have submitted that are still current, none
of the src-related ones are from anything newer than 6.0R:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?originator=Jo+Rhett

There are some resources to help you find already-submitted PRs to
reference if it will help.  (The latter 2 are new, and are attempts
by the bugbusting team to flag 'well-known problem' and 'PR indicates
regression'):

http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Commonly_reported_issues
http://people.freebsd.org/~linimon/studies/prs/well_known_prs.html
http://people.freebsd.org/~linimon/studies/prs/prs_for_tag_regression.html

Now I'll admit the following is a less-obvious query of the database, but
it's my attempt to show regressions that we have already flagged in 6.3:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?release=%5EFreeBSD+6.3&category=kern&text=regression

So these 4 links should give you some quick ways to generate some PR
numbers for us.

Finally, here are some statistics about PR count:

  rel	all		kern
  6.0	210		 91
  6.1	217		 81
  6.2	396		102
  6.3	167		 56
  7.0	563		140

To me, this doesn't look like an overwhelming case for 6.3 being worse
off than 6.2.  Yes, I'm sure there are regressions: there are in any
release.

mcl