Date:      Fri, 28 May 2004 12:43:25 +0200
From:      Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
To:        Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
Cc:        eik@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Issue with your exim port's Makefile

Ceri Davies wrote:

> On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 10:28:53AM +1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
>
>>On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 03:36:47PM -0700, David Fisher wrote:
>>
>>>RFC 822 :
>>
>>RFC0822 is obsoleted, please see RFC2822, paragraph 3.2.3.
>
> Guys, come on.  We've been told that it causes problems, and it will
> take all of 4 seconds to fix (literally).  Can't we just do it?

No, we can't. Pushing to do a quick fix to a minor glitch is normally not
a good idea, working together to fully understand the problem, work around
it and test the fix is. Normally I try to test my changes for more than
four seconds.

I will change this, actually I had it changed in my local copy, but it
didn't made it with the latest upgrade. As you may have noticed I made an
offer to change it in my response, but wanted to know which RFC I'm breaking,
since the offered alternative `:' did not look much different too me, RFC-wise.
I just wanted to figure out whether I'm really working around another bug in
the various forms of Outlook, or if the problem goes deeper.

You also may have noticed that I tried to clarify this privately (removing the
CC of questions@), so please don't criticize people that are only trying to
help (since they have been asked to do so by the submitter). It is something
totally different to work around a bug in Outlook (any other character than `;'
will do) or a RFC violation (where `:' would probably have been illegal, too).

To restate: Of course I will add an workaround for Outlook bugs if they don't
introduce new problems, but I have to understand the problem before just doing
*something* that will break another mailer. I'm not a big fan of harum-scarum
patches. Probably the Debian way (using nested comments) is the way to go.

-Oliver