Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 01:22:11 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

On 17 Nov 2002, Mattias Pantzare wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 22:03, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> > Marc writes:
> >
> > > Actually ... there is a difference between a
> > > developer stress-testing an application, especially
> > > one as complex as an OS, and real world testing
> >
> > That's why software companies usually have dedicated test groups.
> >
> > > How many developers have the hardware to
> > > continously pound in such an environment
> > > for 20 days straight until it finally
> > > decides to crash?
> >
> > Large software companies do, and that's exactly what is done.
>
> And they still won't find all bugs. Whe have found bugs in a big router
> verndors products that where so bad that we had to move some functions
> to a diffrent box in order to have a working network. They could not
> repeat that in the lab. Testing is good, but one has to keep in mind
> that it is very hard to simulate real loads.

You are missing the point - testing does indeed find very large percenatge
of bugs, esp. bad ones. Not all - just a quite large percenatge. If
testing did not  help, companies would definately have gotten rid of their
test teams long ago.

Testing - including dead boring regular testing - definately helps. But
there is in practice no chance wahtsoever i fear that say -current would
be in a state where one might say 'and now bound on it' in regular, say
bi-weekly periods.