Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:21:34 +0100
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ott =?iso-8859-1?q?K=F6stner?= <OttK@zzz.ee>
Subject:   Re: 7.1

On Monday 17 November 2008 13:01:53 Ott K=F6stner wrote:
> Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> > I don't think it is a matter of days, we have not even reached RC
> > status yet on 7.1
> > On  a production server you will probably wish to go with
> > 7.0-RELEASE-p5. It would be trivial to upgrade to 7.1 by means of
> > freebsd-update(8) when it is released.
> > You probably don't want to risk 7.1-PRERELEASE on a server, but for
> > anyone running workstations, desktops, laptops I think it is worth
> > trying at this moment.
>
> I am a person, who made a mistake, installing 7.1 on my production
> server (actually RELENG_7 stable, which shows up as 7.1).
>
> My question is, how stupid is that mistake?

Not very. The -stable branches really are stable, 99% of the time. Just gla=
nce=20
through /usr/src/UPDATING. The difference between RELENG_7 now and 7.1 when=
=20
it comes out, is:
=2D fixing of bugs that you would've noticed already (hardware issues,=20
installer / boot code)
=2D polishing (dotting i's and crossing t's)
=2D even more testing then has been done already
=2D 2 week long security review by the security team
=2D the packages on the cdroms
=2D output of uname -r

The release is merely a snapshot of the source tree, that has had more eyes=
=20
looking at it then normal. There are no guarantees. If your company policy=
=20
requires you to run releases (+ their updates) on production servers, that=
=20
would be the only good reason to install 7.0-p5.
Otherwise, keep RELENG_7 and once 7.1 comes out, change csup tag to=20
RELENG_7_1, recompile and you're done.

=2D-=20
Mel

    and never get to the software part.