Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 10:41:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Tim Pushor <timp@orion.ab.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting FreeBSD on second SCSI disk?

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Tim Pushor wrote:

> Well (looking rather embarassed) I commercially support NT and UNIX for a
> large computer firm and know NT quite well. How to boot other OS's on a disk
> other than the one NT is on by copying the boot sector of the disk to a file
> and referencing it in Windows NT boot.ini does not seem to work unless the
> other OS's boot partition resides on the same disk as NT. Mine doesn't. I
> tried anyway, and my system will not boot.

I wasn't aware of that limitation.  I'm not familiar with NT, however (by
direct choice), so you're my best source of info for this level of stuff.

> I attempted to put a standard (no prompt) boot loader on disk1 (or disk2)
> and it didn't work either. I was using the /stand/sysintall utility. I
> managed to get my system booting by using the FreeBSD boot disk and entering
> 1:sd(1,a)/kernel at the floppy boot prompt.

What is your partition layout and filesystem types on your disks?
Booteasy may be confused by NTFS or some other tweak in your system.

> I guess what I really want to do is to install a boot loader on disk0 that
> does exactly what I manually entered so that the NT boot loader is not
> displayed. At this time I should be able to  copy the boot sector from drive
> 0 and copy it to a file, then restore the original boot sector of disk0 and
> reference the file I just created in Windows NT boot.ini. Is this warped
> thinking?

Kind of a two-stage selection boot?  Assuming the NTloader doesn't occupy
the boot sector you could do that.  But you need a loader that understands
your system.

> I have looked at all the FAQ's I can and done searches on the mailing list
> archives and was able to find very detailed instructions and theory on how
> to boot FreeBSD from the NT boot loader if FreeBSD is on the same disk as
> NT.  I also do not trust sysinstall to do the right thing every time. There
> must be a manual (configurable) way to install a boot loader explicitly
> telling it which drive to load the kernel from, but I just cannot find it.

I don't either; try runing `bootinst.exe' off of the /tools directory on
the CDROM or ftp site.  Bring boot.bin with you.  That is the manual way
to install booteasy.