Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2017 13:46:17 -0500
From:      Doug McIntyre <merlyn@geeks.org>
To:        byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bind-9.11

On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 09:09:49AM -0400, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
> I have set up a Bind-9.11 service (inside a jail).  In doing so I
> noted that the default named.conf file provided contains no less than
> 161 pre-defined zones that all point to:
>
>     /usr/local/etc/namedb/master/empty.db
> So, what happened to the 'empty-zones-enable' and 'disable-empty-zone'
> options?  Why are these zones explicitly defined?

Those are "relatively new" features to BIND. BIND used to not do that,
and it used to be a issue with users looking up private IP space reverses
all that time against your servers.

The FreeBSD setup can probably be adjusted and modified to use the built
in BIND features now. But it was useful in the past.