Date:      Mon, 16 May 2016 12:08:38 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best practice for high availability ZFS pool

--Apple-Mail=_7DF1126C-CDCD-4386-958B-B5EEAA0A8866

Hi,

We need to set up a ZFS pool with redundance. The main goal is high =
availability - uptime.

I can see a few of paths to follow.

1. HAST + ZFS

2. Some sort of shared storage, two machines sharing a JBOD box.

3. ZFS replication (zfs snapshot + zfs send | ssh | zfs receive)

4. using something else than ZFS, even a different OS if required.

My main concern with HAST+ZFS is performance. Google offer some insights =
here, I find mainly unsolved problems. Please share any success stories =
or other experiences.

Shared storage still has a single point of failure, the JBOD box. Apart =
from that, is there even any support for the kind of storage PCI cards =
that support dual head for a storage box? I cannot find any.

We are running with ZFS replication today, but it is just too slow for =
the amount of data.

We prefer to keep ZFS as we already have a rather big (~30 TB) pool and =
also tools, scripts, backup all is using ZFS, but if there is no =
solution using ZFS, we're open to alternatives. Nexenta springs to mind, =
but I believe it is using shared storage for redundance, so it does have =
single points of failure?

Any other suggestions? Please share your experience. :)

Palle