Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 1998 10:52:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Reeh <michaelr@ss454.dyn.ml.org>
To:        Geoff Ludwiczak <ludwicza@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD boot time

I have that problem too.. only has done it w/ 2.2.5+ (didnt do it in
2.2.1) but if i dont have a slave device connected to my primary ide
controller, it takes what seems like minutes (probably about 1 minute) to
probe the secondary controller.. kind of weird but i just live with it..
its got some really old devices on a fairly modern mainboard.. vs440fx
chipset w/ an ancient 1.2gb maxtor ide hdd, and on the secondary port, a
4x atapi cdrom... rebuilding the kernel wont help unless theres some
secret lint option i dont know about :) i just learn to live with it and
reboot as rarely as possible

mike reeh
michaelr@ss454.dyn.ml.org