Date:      Sun, 02 Feb 1997 13:33:26 -0800
From:      Burton Sampley <bsampley@best.com>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ps permission denied?

Shawn Ramsey wrote:

> Anyone know why a simple 'ps' now says /dev/mem: permission denied? Is
> this normal? It used to allow any user to do a ps, ps ax, ect.

In order to answer your question, more info. is needed.

Have you changed anything recently in your system?  Did you have this
problem before the changes?

Did you recently compile a new kernel.  If you did, check the on-line
handbook.  I remember something about if ps doesn't work after
installing a new kerne.

You might want to include a copy of the info from dmesg, also.  This
will give the people who would like to help you some info. about your
system.

--
Burton Sampley
Email: bsampley@best.com | home page: http://www.best.com/~bsampley