Date:      Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:36:12 +0100
From:      Neal Nelson <nealie@kobudo.homeunix.net>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WPA Access Point

On 14 Dec 2005, at 20:00, Sam Leffler wrote:

> Neal Nelson wrote:
>> Has anyone got FreeBSD 6.0 to work as a wireless access point using
>> WPA?
>> I'm running a Prism 2.5 based wireless card and have been using it as
>> an access point for years. It stills works OK but I installed the
>> hostapd port in order to add WPA authentication. Unfortunately this
>> doesn't seem to work as it complains when I run it as follows:
>> bsd_configure_wpa: group key cipher=AES-CCM (3)
>> ioctl[SIOCS80211]: Invalid argument
>> I'm not sure whether hostapd is configured right as there seems to be
>> no documentation for it.
>> Can anyone shed some light on this or am I barking up the wrong tree
>> as far as WPA is concerned?
>
> The above error is likely because you don't have wlan_ccmp
> loaded/configured.  However
>
> ifconfig wi0 list caps
>
> should indicate the driver lacks support for WPA1/WPA2.  Guess it
> would be good for hostpad to check that.
>
> 	Sam

You are quite right on both counts. I built a new kernel with some
extra wlan_ options and hostapd runs without complaint now. Of course
it still doesn't work as my wi interface doesn't have the WPA
capability.

On the plus side I've finally managed to configure my system to talk to
my Mac with WEP. OK it's not ideal but it's a start and I was unable to
get them to talk when I tried it first some time ago.

Do you have any idea whether WPA will be added to the wi driver or
should I look for another interface card if I want to use this?