Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 2008 10:14:46 -0800
From:      Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Asus EEE -- suspend, card reader and camera

I am a mostly-happy user of an Asus EEE 701.  Recently I was pointed at
http://wiki.freebsd.org/AsusEee which has more current information than
the nighthack page.  I'm running RELENG_7 and I am pleased to confirm
that the wired Ethernet works out of the box.  I'm looking forward to
ath_hal merging from current so I can stop copying over the madwifi hal
directory.  I have only three issues remaining, some of which are at
least partially discussed on that page.

First, I'm new to FreeBSD on laptops.  I tried to suspend with Fn-F1 and
it seemed to do the right thing, but I don't know how to resume.  I
tried Fn-F1 and it didn't work.  I hit the power button, and the LEDs
changed but the screen never woke up.  I had to hold down the power
button to get it to shut off, then tapped it to bring it up.  I added
the sysctls as recommended by the wiki page -- is there something else
I'm missing?

Second, the card reader seems to bite the shed if I use it in the 40MB/s
mode but not in the 1MB/s mode.  Is this a hardware problem or a
software problem or what?  Is there some geek knob I can twiddle to
throttle the card reader so I can use some happy medium?  1MB/s is
really slow. :-)

Third, there isn't a single mention of the camera on that page.  I saw a
sysctl for the camera but it seems to simply report whether or not the
camera is enabled in the BIOS.  Are there any apps which use the camera?
   Is there a driver issue with it, or something else that I haven't heard?

Thanks so much for all your work.  I am very pleased with how well the
laptop is supported in general, and it's sweet to show the Linux users
that it's not the only non-Windows choice for the Eee!

Jack.