Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2018 01:17:31 +0200
From:      news <news@saz.gr>
To:        freebsd-elastic@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Logstash 6.x plugins installation and updates

On Tue, 06 Mar 2018 22:30:36 +0200, Mark Felder <feld@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018, at 11:03, news via freebsd-elastic wrote:
>>
>> the expr error is probably a syntax error because it's trying to use gnu
>> expr and not the one we have on FreeBSD.
>>

> Good catch.
>
>> The installation of the plugin I tried(logstash-output-plugin) seems to
>> work. Also I used a working configuration from a linux setup I have on
>> production and it didn't produce any errors.
>>
>> The big problems start when I try to update the included plugins, which
>> can cause also problems if a plugin needs an updated version of a
>> installed plugin(if we try to install the logstash-output-influxdb
>> plugin
>> on logstash5 port we can see it tries to update the logstash-core plugin
>> and it fails)
>>

> Is logstash-core a plugin or part of the  software installed by the
> package? (I'm not familiar with the plugins for logstash)

logstash-core is included on the default installation of logstash. If you
run bin/logstash-plugin list you will not see it. Buit if a newer version
is a depedency for another plugin installation it pops up.

> Alternatively we could try our hand at packaging plugins, but if they
> have a lot of dependencies it could lead us down a rabbithole...

Logstash keeps a local directory storage for "gems" on
logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems and
logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3/gems . On logstash6 there is only the 2.3
directory as far as I have seen