Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2018 09:27:37 +0100
From:      Tom Jones <tom@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To:        Nick Wolff <darkfiberiru@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: QOS/TOS in carp/freebsd in general

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 04:30:45PM -0400, Nick Wolff wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> I currently have a review in to make carp use dscp values on outgoing
> packets. This will make it easier to preform QOS on modern switches as we
> have been able to drive carp insane on 10g links while throwing storage
> traffic at it.On an interesting side note apparently after 64k mac address
> moves for a single mac address in the cam table arista 7050t  seems to with
> out warning give up and stop moving address but leaves it in the table
> where ever it last was.
>
> I was originally going to just toggle between cs7 and the old TOS low delay
> setting. But it was requested that I just make it a settable Integer value.
> In this case I'm planning to do 0-63 to match dscp with a default of 54
> (CS7) (Network Control) but you could still set the old value by setting
> the sysctl to 4. Anything larger then 64 would be truncated as two shifts
> are needed to align with the field leading.
>
> Does anybody do anything anywhere with the old TOS values like low delay in
> there networking infrastructure? Should this be updated in other places in
> kernel and userland? It's been 20 years since TOS was deprecated and
> replaced with DSCP.
>
> Any other comments or thought are always welcome.

I cannot speak to network stacks, but we have performed some large scale
DSCP measurements of the Internet and found TOS semantics still in use.
You might want to look up:

Exploring DSCP modification pathologies in mobile edge networks: IEEE/IFIP Workshop on Mobile Network Measurement

I think there is more work in line to be published based on similar
measurement campaigns.