Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 22:30:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      StevenR362@aol.com
To:        imp@village.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer sharing

In a message dated 97-06-25 21:42:06 EDT, imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
writes:

> StevenR362@aol.com writes:
>  : You have at least two options that should work.  Option one is to buy
>  : a high quality automatic printer switch that is bidirectional
>  : I.E.E. 1280? (can't remember the exact number) compatible.  It has to
>  : fully mimic a straight through bidirectional cable.
>
>  I picked up one for about $25 that I was told was completely
>  compilant.  Doesn't work :-(.

  You shoulda spent the extra $10.00 for a more compliant, compliant one ;)
It has to be fully 1284 ECP/EPP compliant.  No cheapo clones need apply.

>  I'm thinking that this is the best bet.  I will most liekly do this.
>  However, there is a gotcha: I have to use a generic PS driver and
>  ghostscript to do this.  Otherwise I'm SOL because the HP printer
>  driver will not allow a connection to a network printer :-(.

  Use Samba and apsfilter with ghostscript 4 or 5 on your FreeBSD machine.
Set up ghostscript with the closest matching HP emulation drivers to your
printers.  On the windows box, if the provided drivers do not allow a network
connection then use the closest matching Microsoft HP drivers.  I've had to
do this at work using HP LJ III drivers on client machines to network connect
to an Okidata OL600 plug&pray printer.

Steve