Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:57:36 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "jett tayer" <tayerv@ph.inter.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: being FreeBSD-stable

From: "jett tayer" <tayerv@ph.inter.net>
> im a new user of FreeBSD and i want to know the step by step
> procedure on how to make my FreeBSD-RELEASE become
> FreeBSD-stable. Is this possible?

There are several ways to get bring your sources up from -RELEASE to -STABLE
(CVS, CVSUP, CTM).

I keep my sources up to date with CVSUP, so you would need to do the
following:

1. Install the CVSUP client:

    A. From a port:

        cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup
        make install

    B: From a package:

        pkg_add cvsup-16.1.tgz

2. Edit /etc/make.conf

    Add/uncomment the following make variables in your /etc/make.conf:

    SUP_UPDATE=     yes
    SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
    SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 2
    SUPHOST=        cvsup.uk.FreeBSD.org
    SUPFILE=        /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
    PORTSSUPFILE=   /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile

    NOTE: set SUPHOST to a local CVSUP mirror.
        See http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cvsup.html#CVSUP-MIRRORS

3. Update sources/ports

    cd /usr/src
    make update

    NOTE: You may want to check /usr/src/Makefile.inc1 for SUPHOST,
          if it is missing then add "-h ${SUPHOST}" to your SUPFLAGS
          in make.conf.

4. Read /usr/src/UPDATING before proceeding

5. Build the world:

    make buildworld

6. Building a new kernel

    A. Create your kernel config file:
        cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
        cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
        vi MYKERNEL

        NOTE: Add/Remove drivers that are needed/unused from MYKERNEL

    B. Build the kernel

        cd /usr/src
        make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

7.  Install the kernel

    make installkernel

8. Install the world:

    make installworld KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

    NOTE: It is recommended that you boot to single user mode before
installing world

9.  Merge the config changes (/etc/*, /dev/MAKEDEV, ...)

    mergemaster

    NOTE: read the man page on mergemaster to understand what it does.

Scot