Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 2015 15:23:18 +0000
From:      Matt Churchyard <matt.churchyard@userve.net>
To:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>, Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
Cc:        "owner-freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <owner-freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD virtualization <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: C bhyve administration tool

>> Hello!
>>=20
>> Couple months ago I started writing a bhyve management tool in C for=20
>> our startup, in preparation for migration to FreeBSD for our servers.
>> The goal was to be able to create, drop, and auto-start/stop/restart=20
>> VMs, individually or all at once, and provide a plugin infrastructure=20
>> to expose some metrics / errors for reporting and aggregation. More=20
>> importantly it would detect errors/failures, report them and attempt=20
>> to restart the VM per assigned policy.
>>=20
>> The effort stalled due to some high priority work that crept in.
>> However, I am planning on restarting soon and wanted to check if=20
>> there was a need for something like this.  I ran across Michael=20
>> Dexter's vmrc, and although its shell based, it does provide quite a=20
>> bit of features that we were looking for.  There's also iohyve. And I=20
>> heard Peter and Neel are working on something as well. If there is=20
>> interest, this would be open sourced from the start. Or if there is=20
>> an existing effort that addresses these problems, I would love to=20
>> contribute to that project.
>>=20
>> Thoughts, comments, concerns, please share.
>>=20
>=20
>> vm-bhyve is most mature to this point IME, just don't use the ports=20
>> version.
>=20
>> Adam
>=20
> Thanks Adam :)
>=20
> I could do with updating the port. Unfortunately this is my first=20
> porting experience so not exactly sure of the 'correct' channel to go=20
> through to get things updated. It took 2 months for my original port=20
> request to be addressed and I'm not sure re-opening that bug is the=20
> right way to do it.
>=20
> If anyone uses the port, the error that gets printed when running 'vm=20
> init' can be completely ignored. It's just trying to load any existing=20
> virtual switches from the switch configuration file, and complaining=20
> that the switch configuration file doesn't exist. Apart from that and=20
> a few newer features/tweaks, I don't think there's anything=20
> particularly show-stopping about the current port/package if people=20
> prefer installing it that way to downloading from GitHub.
>=20
> Of course it would still be interesting to see a "real" bhyve=20
> management tool (possibly even an official one) written in C.
>=20
>to update an existing port, create a PR with the patch to update it, and t=
hen wait.  If a committer doesn't grab it within a reasonable time, post to=
 freebsd-ports to get their >attention.

-------

>Hi Matt,
>if you need someone to help you updating the port and get it committed, dr=
op me a line and I'll help.
>Lars

Hi Lars, Larry

Thanks both for your help.
Once I'm sure I won't be making any changes 5 minutes after submitting it, =
and don't have any other silly bugs scaring new users I will submit a PR.

Matt