Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 17:02:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   tail -f makes my news server reboot

2.2-stable as of late August.  96 megs RAM, lots of IO.

I am logged in remotely via ssh.

I do a tail -f on my news.notice file.  (~14 megs/day)

It is actually a:

	tail -f /cnfs/log/news.notice | egrep -v rejecting\\[perl

I put it in the background with ^Z for a while.  Perhaps 15 or 20 minutes.

I then do a fg.

As expected, I get a bunch of data scrolling quickly.

What is not expected is that after a bit of it, the machine hangs dead and
reboots.  No kernel messages logged.  I'm guessing it is a panic, but I
have never been around to put a console on it and look.  (erm... not that
I ever think "oh, I am going to crash this machine" before I do it...)

This has happened twice.

Ideas?

I'll try to setup a test system and see if I can reproduce it sometime,
but don't have time right now.