Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 07:30:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/35723

The following reply was made to PR docs/35723; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To: Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>
Cc: Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:39:43 -0500

 Ceri wrote:

 > On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 10:21:56AM -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:
 >
 >>Ceri wrote:

 >>>Well I don't think we should refer to PRs in manpages for one.
 >>>

 >>hmmm, Ceri, why don't we cut from the PR listing down?
 >>

 > Well I also don't think that we should say "this driver...appears to be
 > no longer actively maintained".
 > Which means that I don't like two thirds of the suggested patch, which
 > is really quite a lot for a 27 word patch.
 >
 > Far better would something like "This driver causes kernel panics".
 > And I don't like that either :)
 >
 > Ceri

 This driver causes inconsistancies (sp, use i/aspell) and can
 sometimes lead to kernel panics.

 This driver is currently obsolete and may cause system instability,
 if this occurs please try another driver or card.

 Can we email the maintainer and find out if their is another driver
 that can be used in its place, maybe list that?  How do you feel
 about the above sentances?  I know it will be ``raising barriers'' for
 users, but they should be warned about a driver known to cause
 panics.  On the other hand, I do not like mentioning the other card
 idea.  Catch 22?

 --
 Tom (Darklogik) Rhodes
 www.Pittgoth.com Gothic Liberation Front