Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:14:59 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/netpbm Makefile (fwd)

--cHMo6Wbp1wrKhbfi

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 03:40:34AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 02:54:26AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> > > Can someone please explain to me why fixing a plist necessitates bump=
ing
> > > portrevision? If I already have the port installed, the plist is alre=
ady
> > > broken. There is nothing about this fix that makes me want to reinsta=
ll
> > > the port.
> >
> > There is for me -- I want the version of the port with the correct pkg-=
plist
> > in case I want to deinstall the port and _not_ leave files/dirs behind.
> > I wouldn't know if I have the correct version of the plist if they didn=
't
> > bump PORTREVISION.
>=20
> It doesn't matter if you have the correct version of the plist, you'll
> get an error if pkg_delete doesn't complete successfully.

I don't follow -- if I get an error on pkg_delete, most likely there is sti=
ll
cruft on my drive, which I can't identify. If I reinstall the port with the
correct plist, (which portupgrade nearly automates for me anyway), I don't
have cruft lying around when it is deleted. That's what I wanted to avoid.

Hopefully I made myself more clear this time,

--Stijn

--=20
"Coca-Cola is solely responsible for ensuring that people - too stupid to k=
now
not to tip half-ton machines on themselves - are safe. Forget parenting - t=
he
blame is entirely on the corporation for designing machines that look so
innocent and yet are so deadly."
	-- http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=3Ddisplaystory;sid=3D2001/10/28/212418/42

--cHMo6Wbp1wrKhbfi

--cHMo6Wbp1wrKhbfi--