Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:39:00 -0700
From:      George <jirka@5z.com>
To:        Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
Cc:        ezislis <kesor@mail.ru>, gnome@freebsd.org, jirka@5z.com
Subject:   Re: GDM 2.4.0.x & FreeBSD

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 07:08:53PM -0700, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> > --- quote ---
> > (gdb) bt
> > #0  0x288c61d7 in __srget () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.4
> > #1  0x8058dee in gdm_slave_greeter_ctl (cmd=35 '#', str=0x80679a3
> > "") at /usr/include/stdio.h:418
> > #2  0x80555a6 in run_pictures () at slave.c:1080
> > #3  0x8056270 in gdm_slave_greeter () at slave.c:1477
> > #4  0x8054a2f in gdm_slave_run (display=0x80b2000) at slave.c:603
> > #5  0x8054236 in gdm_slave_start (display=0x80b2000) at
> > slave.c:271
> > #6  0x8053b0b in gdm_display_manage (d=0x80b2000) at display.c:217
> > #7  0x8050625 in gdm_start_first_unborn_local (delay=0) at
> > gdm.c:764
> > #8  0x805184f in main (argc=3, argv=0xbfbffde0) at gdm.c:1497
> > #9  0x804ef31 in _start ()
> > --- end quote ---
>
> This is absolutely normal.  GDM forks the gdmlogin process and then
> enters an endless loop in run_pictures.  It regularly checks for a
> return from gdmlogin, hoping that it can use the username to display the
> user's picture.  Otherwise, it just keeps in an endless loop in
> run_pictures until notified by gdmlogin.

Actually it's not normal since the daemon didn't get to the Username query.
It is stuck asking the greeter if it needs pictures and has likely not heard
a response.  Since the greeter doesn't have the face browser enabled, it
would just answer those queries with a no and would let the daemon to go on.
So there is some problem on the comm side of things.

> The problem appears to be in the communication between gdmlogin and the
> master gdm slave or in the transfer of control between gdmlogin and
> gdmaskpass, but I am not sure about what is really supposed to happen.
> If you put gdb on the gdmlogin process at the point where it hangs, it
> is stuck permanently in _thread_sys_poll, essentially signifying
> nothing.

Well the login seems to be in main loop, thus it's in the poll call.  However
it seems that it has not received anything from the daemon yet.

> I have no idea how to tell if gdmlogin is actually running multiple
> threads or not or what another thread id within gdmlogin might yeild
> better results than the one you get by attaching gdb.

There are no other threads.

> In any case, your conversation with viscious below is less than useful
> because neither he nor you really understood what is happening to gdm.

Yes, I have no clue what is happening.  I'm thinking it is the io channel
code.  Perhaps the gdmlogin side is not properly setting up the channel and
is not receiving events that something has been put onto the channel.
Perhaps the same on the daemon side.

> When I build and install gdm2 under X while gdm1 is running, then
> logout, it comes up with the new greeter and allows me to login.

This is because the protocol has not changed between late 2.2.5.x series
and the 2.4.0.x releases.

> However, if I actually logout, go to a console vty and then kill the
> master gdm process, when the new greeter appears I cannot login.

This would then seem to indicate that the error is on the daemon side since
the greeter will work with an old daemon.  The IO channel stuff in gdlib has
changed between 1.x and 2.0 so I think this is where the error lies.

George

--
George <jirka@5z.com>
   What luck for the rulers that men do not think.