Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 1995 09:28:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Rashid Karimov." <rashid@haven.ios.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Interesting ( and fatal) system locking in 205R

	Hi there ppl,

here I am again with the old problem - random
system locks ( approx. once in a day or two) on
loaded system.

	The good news is:

    The QUOTAs code doesn't lead to kernel locking ! -
   albeit the premonition a few ppl here had ( me incl. :).

	Something else causes the locking . Very interesting one IMHO -
	the console driver is alive ( you can  switch the virtual screens
	from the
    console) , the ping from remote sites works too , when one tries
    telnet or ftp tp the hung host - it does say "connected" ,
    but that's about it. You can't get anything else !

	I don't know if this description in enough for some1 here
	the reason/cure , but hey , you never know ! :)

	The system is :
	P90 , 128Mb RAM, Bustec 946C PCI-SCSI , 2 HDDs Seagate Barracudas.
	The locking happens on different systems ( 4 of them) _regularly.
	The motherboards are different , on some systems there is
	Adaptec 2940 instead of Bustec.

	I'll try to compile DDB support into the kernel and produce
	more detailed description of the problem later ..

	Rashid

	PPS
	Assuming this problem will be fixed I think that the 205R
	could be used in server config as fast and reliable alternative
	to SSs :))

    Any cure?

    Rashid