Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 17:41:00 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop newbie questions

> Hi,
> Just got my hands on a new laptop at work, and am learning about
> the laptop world and am full of questions.. :-) I've installed
> 2.2.7-RELEASE plus the latest PAO snapshot.

You can probably take the PAO code off; it's unlikely that you'll need
it.

>  - In trying to set up X11 on this machine, nowhere in the specs are
>    the sync ranges for the LCD screen displayed. It's capable of 1024x768,
>    but that's about all I know about it...

You shouldn't care; the LCD ought to be autodetected by the chipset
driver.

>    IE, what does a typical "Monitor" section in XF86Config look like
>    for this type of LCD display?

Just use XF86Setup; the driver ought to ignore the Monitor settings.

>  - Does the existing X11 S3V driver support the S3 Virge/MX+ 86c280 chip?
>    it's not explicitly listed.. are patches available or necessary?

Ask the XFree86 folks, or get a copy of AcceleratedX (LX version).

>  - It has an ESS ES1968S PCI audio chip:
>
>      pci0:16:  vendor=0x125d, device=0x1968,
>        class=multimedia (audio) int a irq 5 [no driver assigned]
>
>    Does Luigi's sound driver support this chip in this PCI version?
>    If so, what config file magic would make it work?

No.  If it's just the ISA version with a PCI interface, you might be
able to write a shim like the other shims for PCI versions of ISA
devices.