Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:07:15 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Rhys John <elite_bizkit@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mplayer keeps screwing my system :(

Rhys John wrote:
> First off id like to say that mplayer has really started to annoy me! I
> have used it 3 times and each time it has screwerd my system. The
> problem is that for some reason once I have run it, I close it and it
> throws up all these errors resulting in my sound card no longer working
> for any multimedia application. For example when I try and play a song
> with xmms I get the following message:
>
> Couldn't Open Aduio
>
> Please check that:
>
> 1. You have the correct output plugin selected
> 2. No other programs is blocking the soundcard
> 3. Your soundcard is configured properly
>
> Now I know for a fact that xmms works fine on my system, because it has
> always worked until I ran mplayer for the first time. Each time Ive used
> mplayer I have had to rebuild my system to get sound back!! Yes I know
> this is a bit extreme but I couldnt find anywhere that had information
> about this problem, this is why im mailing this list because there must
> be a way round this other than rebuilding my system. I would be greatful
> for any help.

You may want to verify that Mplayer is in fact exiting when you quit it.
It sounds like Mplayer is sitting on the audio device for some reason.

px -axww | grep mplayer | grep -v grep

If mplayer is stuck open for some reason, try to kill(1) it and see if
xmms can use the audio device.

If not, you probably don't have to rebuild your entire system to get
the sound back, a simple reboot should be sufficent (in the worst case).

--
   \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
  |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer